allthingspurple

For Bento Posts under this blog itself, click "here" .For older bento posts, just click on the monthly archives at the side bar.

Monday, May 14, 2007

my first step towards frugal living - Cloth Diapers !

You know how it’s like when you have been spending tons on grocery and you resolved to be more frugal in the future. You know how you resolve not to buy stuff you never used but you never live up to your resolutions and you end up throwing food all the time?

And you know the feeling when you need to buy disposable diapers for your kids every 10 days or so, you wince when you see the amount in the cash till ringing higher and higher?

In my bid to practice frugal living, I have toyed with the idea of using cloth diapers for a long time. Since time immemorial !!!! Okay, since Kimberly was born, actually. That was 6 years ago !

The main issue of my concern was the poo. Okay, guys and single ladies, you can stop reading at this point. This post is more for moms than anyone else.

So, I tried on this brand by Drybees and hey!!!! I was pretty impressed. I had been asking Sandra tons of questions at MyMomsBest,Lilian's breastfeeding forum, before I got the first 2 to try out. Sandra owns an online store called MiaBambina.

This is half of my stash. The other half is in the washer.

drybees cloth diapers

To be earnest, I was more attracted by the prints than anything else. Hee hee. The first factor which prompts me to buy was actually the new print of Drybees, the Lavender Jangle. Not so much the practice of frugal living.

I liked the prints so much I got 3 Lavender jangles, 2 pink jangles and 2 green jangles. I had started out with 2, but end up with 14!!! I mean, you only need about 8,or max, 12. It must be the good feeling associated with the practice of frugal living. ha ha.. Though I probably defeat the purpose somewhat.

For moms who don’t know what I find is so great about this particular one, I should tell you that the inner lining goes right over the babies’ tight and the outer polyester lining doesn’t brush against her skin (incidentally it is the same fabric as disposable). Because it doesn’t irritate the skin, it is really comfortable. At least, Ashley doesn’t try to peel them at all,unlike her disposables (the drybees has velcro).

Also, the microsuede/fleece lining separating the insert and the skin is amazing. It wicks the moisture to pass through the insert and the suede/fleece itself remains dry.

I thought my kid was dry when I undress her for her bath. Checked the diaper and it appeared dry. But when I tear open the Velcro, my, the insert is sopping wet. I am impressed!!! It’s even drier on the skin than disposable!!!! So that’s what prompt me to buy another 2, and another 3 and another 3 and so on, and now I have 14 !!!

That was when i found out that the microsuede is stain resistant and the poo could be rolled off into the toilet bowl and be washed out.

This is Ashley in Bum Genius. Bum Genius can go right from newborn to about 18 kg. My MIL prefers bumgenius over drybees, so i have to get some of both.

the little artist deep in thought

So you can see Ashley wearing bum genius on the week that MIL is minding her and drybees on the week that my MIL wasn’t around to help. LOL

Try these, girls, I am not getting any paid for this but I really advocate cloth diapering and I really think all moms should give cloth diapers a chance.

Labels:

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

26 Comments:

  • hey the diapers look really pretty. makes me want to make a grab for them too. but hor...even though i've been reading sandra's replies to all those questions, i still can't quite figure them out. maybe need a demo from you...hehehe

    By Blogger A Mom's Diary, At 7:08 PM  

  • can..... anytime even during lunchtime, since you work so near to me.

    theres an opening at the back where you insert a thick microsued lining inside. So you can take it out and wash it seperately from the diaper itself. It is so assuring that you can wash them so clean that way.

    Go for it, girl, I'll bet you will turn out to be as passionate over it as i am.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 9:40 PM  

  • wow u write i also convinced ledi. but the other cloth is water proof so will it be hot ah? for my lil girl. curious la.

    By Blogger mommy of 3 angels, At 4:47 PM  

  • wah... sounds very interesting wor... maybe i should get a few pieces to try too... but how many times can we reused the mircopad??

    By Blogger Angeleyes, At 9:26 PM  

  • They look really pretty.

    By Blogger Princess Mom, At 11:22 AM  

  • Hi, Mommy of 2 angels, I think your little girl can make a fashion statement with it. ha ha. Honestly, the outer waterproof layer is just a thin cloth-like cover so i dont think it will be hot. No difference from that of disposable heat-wise.

    Angeleyes, try, lar!! Come visit me and I will bring Ashley along to show you. Ha ha. You can use for second child and third child, so i imagine the insert can be re-used many times over.

    Hi, HMom, thanks for visiting. Your 2 little one looks real cute. Yea, them diapers are oh-so-pretty,arent they?

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 6:13 PM  

  • wah...i also want la..

    but i bought so many diapers already..have to finish them first.

    one question tho...what about night time? does she still wear cloth diapers?

    I'm afraid of the Poo bit... my tyke poos big time!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:07 PM  

  • Hi, Mott, the poo was my prime concern too. You cant soak them in a pail cos you soak the poo right in. For solids, i roll them off into the toilet bowl. For somewhat liquidy poo, I spray the poo stain off with the shower head turn on strong setting. Then dump them all in the washer. That was when i was maidless.

    Now that the new maid arrived (big grin, she seems a tad more efficient that my prev one) i just get her to wash the stain portion off before it goes in the washer.

    Ashley wears them at night too. There is an all night Drybees too but since Ashley is not a heavy wetter, i dont use them.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 5:54 AM  

  • Hi moms
    Sandra here from mia bambina
    Christine you really made a GREAT blog!
    For moms who wants to know more, please email me at sandra@miabambina.com
    and if christine doesnt mind she can also give her personal review/recommendation on the products. But if you want more details u can always email me. i will be happy to answer.
    Mom's diary:
    hey the diapers look really pretty. makes me want to make a grab for them too. but hor...even though i've been reading sandra's replies to all those questions, i still can't quite figure them out. maybe need a demo from you...hehe

    Mommy's of 2 angel's:
    it is waterproof and breathable, it 's not hot.

    angle's eyes:
    the inserts can hold up to 3-4 hours. and even over night. you can re-used and rewashed them, you can keep it for you 2nd , 3rd kids!

    Mott
    poop is not big deal.Liquid poo is very water soluble, solid poo even better!:D you can dunk to toilet , flush, stain will be wash easily.

    for more info please visit my blog and website

    www.miabambina.blogspot.com
    www.miabambina.com

    Sandra

    By Blogger Unknown, At 11:08 AM  

  • so pretty and colourful! How much per piece ya? thinking..was planning to have baby and of course must know all the cost 1st since to have a baby cost so much nowadays :p

    By Blogger babyfiona, At 1:52 PM  

  • Hey, reading this post is just like telling me that I've made a right decision, cause I just put order for a set of 3 drybees & booster inserts yesterday! I ordered medium size for my 16 months old son (<10kg). May I know what size is ur darling wearing?
    May I know why do you prefer drybees than bumgenius? Sandra recommended me drybees... hmm, looks like my set of 3 will not be enough...wow, u had 14!!

    By Blogger Annie, At 2:01 PM  

  • u've been tagged!

    http://mottisland.com/blog/?p=8

    sorry..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:31 PM  

  • Christene, your fault. Now I want to get the cloth diaper thing. But I am a bit confused, so many types one ar? Which one are you using, the AIO or the drybees pocket?

    Glad to see u back here!

    By Blogger Vivianz, At 7:38 PM  

  • Hi BabyFiona, When you get a baby, you are welcome to ask me anything you want. Better still, log into www.mymomsbest.com. It will tell u everything you need to know.

    Annie. I prefer drybees because it is less bulky than bumgenius buttoned on medium folds. But you should try both and see which one you prefers. Also, drybees prints are more more prettier. Ashley is wearing M as well. Looks like she will be wearing M for quite some time too. L is still way too big.

    Hey, Mott !! Thanks for the tag. Can afford the time to do it now that maids are here. Yea, maids. One for Ashley and one for Kimberly and housework.

    Vivianz. Ha Ha. join the club ! I am using the drybees pocket. I prefers the pockets because you can take the inserts out of the pockets and wash them seperately and it gets cleaner and it dries faster that way.

    I am glad to be back in the blogsphere too. LOL

    Now to catch up on my tags homework !

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 11:29 PM  

  • yeah... I was too amazed by the absorbency power of modern cloth diaper these days. Am waiting for new stock from Mia Bambina... envy for the nice print of Drybees leh...Ashley looks so nice in it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:25 PM  

  • by the way, did you buy Drybees in package?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:42 PM  

  • yeah, tag tag tag! :P

    By Blogger Vivianz, At 3:28 PM  

  • HI Sharine! thanks for all moms who comments on cloth diapering
    Christine did not buy in packs .She tried a few then add a few then a few then a few . :D
    btw christine you arrange it so nicely
    Im also waiting for my drybees to come. Apologizes to all who r waiting.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 3:43 PM  

  • Christine i know u r busy with maids and kids but i tag u! haha...

    By Blogger Unknown, At 8:43 AM  

  • have been missing your blog :) not so frugal yet, heh. these nappies can be expensive! but i guess on the long run, yeah... and girls ones, how many more prettier prints can they make?!

    By Blogger Sweetpea, At 12:56 PM  

  • Yea, Sharine, those prints are so pretty, arent they?

    Sweetpea, I hope they cant go any prettier than that cos I'll be broke. And yea, not that frugal after all , ha ha

    Noted, noted, Viv, will get to the tags.... *embarassed laugh*

    Thanks,Sandra, for helping out with the answers. And hey, thanks for the tag! It's the first one i did after the maids arrived.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 8:21 AM  

  • Hi Christine,

    great blog. the cloth diapers are all so colourfullll.... definitely will get some to try from sandra. So for newborns.... bettter bumgenius or drybees? i think sandra will recommend when time comes.

    Cheers. Mei Shi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:11 PM  

  • whoaaa!!! cool collections u've got there..i agree with u that the prints were more attractive to our eyes then anything else...also like u..i'm adding more prints to my collections..and AIO is good for a quick trip to supermarkets or doctors appointment..works well for my DD!!

    By Blogger bZbee, At 11:08 PM  

  • Hi, Mei Shi, you may want to get the diapers from Sandra about 2 months before the baby is due, though...

    thanks for visiting !

    Miranda, yea, the prints are the eye catchers, arent they? I have checked around and drybees seems to have prettier prints than most other cloth diapers.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:42 AM  

  • Very cute diapers! Love them all. You answered my question regarding fleece / seude!
    I own mostly seude bumgenius diapers but was curious about the difference w/ the fleece. So t hanks!

    By Blogger Drea, At 12:13 AM  

  • I love that I chose to cloth diaper my son. I love the pics you shared, maybe other mamas who are wondering will see how cute they are and choose cloth , too!!

    By Blogger Bloggers, At 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home









Ditch the Disposables





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape



Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket