allthingspurple

For Bento Posts under this blog itself, click "here" .For older bento posts, just click on the monthly archives at the side bar.

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Of Bento tools and kits - Part 1 of 2

This is a post about my bento kits and tools. My tools is probably not as impressive as most of the veteran bento box meal makers but I sure can't wait to use them.

Here's the low down of Bento Kits for new bento addicts like me. Part 1 of 2. I will put up the rest later when i have time.

These here are the egg moulds. You boil an egg and then gently press them down into the mould vertically while the egg is still hot. Then you plunge the mould and egg into cool water to cool it off before you unclip it.

Egg moulds comes in a variety of shapes. Hello Kitty, Pooh Bear, car, aeroplane, fish, teddy bear etc.

Photobucket



My Hello Kitty egg mould and my Pooh Bear egg moulds are placed upside down. This is how it should looks like from front.














These small ones are quail eggs mould.

Photobucket

I tried to use them for Kimberly's Teachers Day's party last Friday but after awhile, gave up after moulding one set of them, cos didnt have the patience to mould 28 quail eggs. ha ha.

End up using the moulded ones for Ashley's bento box for her snack in school.

Egg moulds are such useful tools to get your picky eater to eat. My Ashley who doesnt eat egg at all finally attempted the egg white after I made one of these in the shape of Hello Kitty.

Photobucket

This here are rice moulds. I got them in a set of three, Hello Kitty, My Melody and the bear.


Photobucket


I also use them as a cookie cutter and bread cutter because the bottom of those 3 moulds are sharper than the top.

These here below are 3 hand held onigiri moulds which come from a complete set of onigiri tools.


Photobucket

This is how rice moulds looks like.


The picture is not mine though. I put this here so that readers know how the rice mould that come out look like. I mean, without the colouring. I read somewhere that the colouring comes from red cabbage, carrot and green peas.

You can also get rice moulds from Jaya Jusco at RM5.90. they come in a set of 3 too. In the mould of a girl face, boy face and a teddy bear.

Kimberly's tuition teacher very kindly got me one from Jaya Jusco when she saw my first poor bento attempt, way before I purchase any bento tools. She saw me trying to squeeze boiled calrose into an ice cube tray and then trying to remove them after i have compact them down with the back of my spoon. Such pathetic first attempt without the right tools. Ha ha. Thanks to her, I got my first bento tool.

This one is a all-in-one. It's one of my favourite. I have used it just before I started packing bento boxes for Ashley and didnt bother to take any picture then because my bento addiction hadnt hit me so hard then.


It was my very first Bento tool purchase and I love it so much then. Had so much fun with it. The origini mould mentioned above being a gift from Kimberly's tuition teacher lar, she refuse to let me pay her back.


Photobucket


Very useful because you could make a Hello Kitty and her friends' figure just out of everything from this box alone.




There's 3 onigiri mould to mould Hello Kitty's and friends' face figure , the cutter to cut Hello Kitty's red bow out of red pepper, her nose out of yellow capsicum and the nori puncher to cut out Hello Kitty's eyes and whiskers out of seaweed.

Very "one-stop" kind of kit. Her friends,ha ha..the My Melody and the bear's accessories are in there too. Kimberly absolutely love it the first time I made that for her.


These are sprinkler plates.

Photobucket

you sprinkle seaweed on top of them and you get the imprints on the onigiri.

Am going to take the kids to the Pooh Bear show in One Utama now. Will post the rest later when i have time.

Happy Bento-ing folks, I think like what Giddytigers and Angeleyes says, we may have just started a bento craze here. Hee..hee..

Labels:

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

14 Comments:

  • *jaw dropped*

    That is amazing..I must be One helluva ULU mom...or mebbe coz I think my boys won't appreciate it THAT much!!! (what a great excuse!) hahahahahahahahahah

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:23 PM  

  • where you buy all the mould?

    By Blogger chanelwong, At 2:55 PM  

  • Wow! You really put a lot of effort ya! and your girl really enjoy it. Did she finished everything?

    By Blogger Bits, At 3:37 PM  

  • gosh.. that's so cuteee! thanks for the bento making 101 :-) never knew that.. will check them out the next time I go to JJ...

    By Blogger sting, At 7:44 PM  

  • i think boys dont like cute cut out shapes leh, if you ask me. car shape egg or plain square sandwhiches more up their alley, i think.

    Chanel, can get from ebay, but i think Brenda will be bringing some items in soon

    Thanks bits of life. Its only another 15 minutes of my time in the morning. worth it if she is eating them. She usually eat whatever she likes in school and what she dont finish, i would offer them to her on the ride home and heing hungry, she would normally eat the balance as well.

    If you notice, its the same food all the time cos its the only food she would eat, although sometimes i add something new to tempt her into eating them, like peas or honeymelon.

    Sting, ignorant me didnt know that either until Kimberly's tuition teacher got me one from there

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 11:18 PM  

  • Kimberly's tuition teacher is so sweet...the Hello Kitty set is not cheap on ebay! One day must visit Jaya Jusco to check out the Bento stuff. Thanks for your such detailed write up!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:15 AM  

  • Boy, I am really infected by all these Bento craze. Hey, when your friend brings all these moulds and tools over, can you inform me too? I'd love to buy them, esp the egg mould.

    By Blogger Health Freak Mommy, At 4:04 PM  

  • Wow! You have invested a lot on Bento! :)

    By Blogger LZmommy, At 9:50 AM  

  • Oh how wonderfully delicious those food looks with the food moulds... thanks for sharing... now I have an idea how to make those food more interesting to my 2 yr old... ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:39 PM  

  • wah....yur post on these bento sets are really influencing ler...am getting some for qiqi too :)

    By Blogger Chinneeq, At 10:17 PM  

  • Omigod! I don't even know these tools exists! Things mummies do to get their children to eat. I feel so inadequate now...boohoohoo

    By Blogger A Mom's Diary, At 11:43 PM  

  • hi Charmaine's mom, Jaya Jusco doesnt really have much. over here we rely more on ebay, 100yen store and more recently, www.nst.my cos they just recently brought in more bento stuffs.

    LZmommy. blame it on the bento craze !! Ha ha.

    Mamabliss, i love your food ideas too.

    Mummy to qiqi, you prob will get to it once you are settled with the twins, yea?

    Wai Leng, you dont have to go to all that if your kids is not a picky eater. Mine is, and to top it, she goes on empty stomach from the night before till the next day when i pick her from school, so bento is a must , to tempt her into eating. She dont ddrink formula, cos she's breastfed before and she dont take milk in the morning nor the school's lunch. I think you are sooo lucky you dont have to wake at 6 am to pack lunch for kids,earnestly. I much rather do it in leisure than early morning rush

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 10:51 PM  

  • you can find many of bento accessories at BENTO STORE http://bentostore.multiply.com/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:05 PM  

  • you can find many of bento accessories at BENTO STORE http://bentostore.multiply.com/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home









Ditch the Disposables





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape



Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket