allthingspurple

For Bento Posts under this blog itself, click "here" .For older bento posts, just click on the monthly archives at the side bar.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Forest Animals Bento

Bento #120

I have a little time today so, feeling guilthy, I thought I catch up on some bento posts. Haha!

Ernestly, I have since given up on figuring out which bento is which, having the lack of time to post bento posts in the recent weeks due to sudden avalanche of workload.

Bento meals were packed everyday, cos kids got to eat, (to quote a fellow blogger who also seems to slow down in bento posts in recent months. haha) but sometimes some of my packed bento meals are not taken pictures of for the want of time. Not all are kyaraben anyhow *grin*, cos there are days when I am not spared an extra 10 minutes. The last month has been nothing but hectic !

This here was Ashley's Forest Animal Bento.

SL386263

It's all protein food and fruits.


SL386280


I have been packing nothing but protein food for her lately. She ate rice in school but sometimes doesn't like the side dishes that they serve. So her packed meals are accompaniment to her lunch. Whatever she didn't finish for lunch, the teachers will bring it out again during tea time for her.

So, having a little time after fixing Kimberly's bento, I thought I top up Ashley's bento with some cheese figures.

Using cheese is way easier than cooking eggwhites or boiling kamaboko for the cutting out faces and shapes. Using cheese is just one-step. It's only a matter of taking out the cheese slices from the fridge and cut.

Using kamaboko and egg whites? Two to three steps, cos I need to either slice the kamaboko, or seperate the egg whites from the egg yolks, then cook, then cut. It takes a whole lot more time.

And it's no secret that Kimberly had warned me that she finds melting cheese all over her fruits icky, so I will not even attempt that over fruits, sliced up or otherwise. p.s. She loves cheese, but only on bread or ham or likewise savoury food, just not on top of slices of oranges or strawberries or melting on top of sweet stuff.

But since Ashley's bento meal has fishcakes on it, I thought I could get away with sitting cheese on top of them.

Hence, Ashley's Forest Animal Bento.

SL386286

I thought I do some possums and bunnies.

Okay, they may not look like possums without circles under their eyebags but humor me, okay? *grin*

Ashley's bento has deep fried kampung chicken pieces at the bottom.

In most of my kids' bento meals, my nuggets are usually kampung chicken deep fried in nugget size or bite size, or fresh fish like kurau or cod cut up into even sizes and fried coated with batter.

I try not to buy processed food for my kids, save for spams and weiners, of which I try to get good ones from deli-s.

Being quite picky about my kids' food, my kids has also been having home made juice and home baked bread as long as they can remember.

Anyhow, I divide the chicken pieces with slices of zucchini, which Ashley likes.

On the other side of the zucchini wall, I slot some fishcakes slices for Ashley, cut into teddy bear figures. On the left are some carrot sticks, raw, since she is into raw carrots nowadays.

SL386325

Filled the gaps with sliced up pears and some strawberries. As usual, and as with the traditional bento box meals, my kids' bento meals need to be tightly packed to withstand jiggling in the schoolbag during the kids' transport from home to school.

Those pink kamaboko flowers are from my pre-cut frozen stash. All I had to do was heat them up.

The thing about kyaraben and oakakiben bento, for the faces and shapes on top of the food,you can't figure out what food goes underneath them.

I find that I need to spend some time trying to remember what goes on underneath those faces and shapes. It's much faster posting more recent bento meals. So, I probably will just post whichever seems easier and faster in the latter posts. Haha!

So, happy bentou-ing guys !! My apology for the long absence in bento posts. Will try to make it up soon.

Have a great weekend ahead !

Labels:

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

30 Comments:

  • Hi Allthingspurple, you sure have one creative mind, and don't seem to run out of ideas too. OUTSTANDING! I am impressed.

    I bet your kids can't wait to open their bentos, not knowing what to expect.

    And to think our younger days was bread and cornbeef sandwiches, or egg sandwich, or sardines, but nothing fancy like bentos. Ha ha.
    You have a nice day and happy Bentoing, Lee.

    By Blogger  Lee, At 8:00 AM  

  • my sons would consume this is seconds!!!!! cos' of the Cheese!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:31 PM  

  • Christine, how do you do they eyes & nose?

    By Blogger Hanz Jamaludin, At 1:14 PM  

  • so cute!! Simple and nice. :)

    Agree with you , use cheese is the easier way to do the deco. Last time my boys don't eat cheese, now they start taking it, so i can do some deco with cheese and it's easier for me. hahahha lazy mummy!

    By Blogger Annie Q, At 1:42 PM  

  • haha. thanks for your kind words, U.Lee, my kids and their friends inclusive. She told me her friends can't wait to see her food. *grin*

    you got cornbeef for your packed lunch? We lesser mortals only get the regular planta sandwiches, planta sandwhiches and more planta sandwiches back then. haha.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 4:19 PM  

  • Angeline, my kids loves cheese, but usually on its own, or with bread or ham, just not over sliced up wet fruits. *grin*

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 4:20 PM  

  • Hanz, just go to MPH or Borders to the stationary department and look for punchers with eyes and nose, and you got it. The eyes and nose are seaweeds.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 4:21 PM  

  • Annie, haha, wish I can use cheese all the time too. But I pack fruits a lot and the blend of cheese with sliced up apples or wet kiwis just don't go down too well with my kids.

    No choice but to spend time cooking and cutting kamaboko or egg white instead cos the taste blend better.

    Wish I could have it easy too cos cheese is so darn easy..take out a slice and cut only. *grin* no need to cook and slice or seperate before cutting.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 4:24 PM  

  • love your animals, very creative. can i ask where u get the pink kamaboko? so far i've only seen all white and white with a little pink top, tks

    By Blogger javapot, At 7:53 PM  

  • Aiyo... You really put me to shame lah.
    My kids take all the unhealthy pre-made stuff.
    Even with my bread machine, I hardly bake my own bread!!! Bleah...

    By Blogger NomadicMom, At 10:16 PM  

  • Hey, Javapot, its the pink top from the white and pink kamamoko. Get those from Jaya Jusco, the pink top is a lot thicker than those from Isetan. YOu can cut the pink layer into 2 cos its thicker and get to utilise more pink out of them.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:37 AM  

  • Nomadicmom, me kiamsiap mah. haha. use fresh chicken and fresh fish can get more meat out of them. And one bag of flour cost about RM2.90 can make 2 1/2 loafs of bread. *grin*. I truly dont like all those rushing out to buy a loaf of bread evenings and usually buy bread from the corner grocer only when I am out of protein flour.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:43 AM  

  • Hi mummy, visit www.littlebug-shop.blogspot.com
    We are selling nice n good quality babies & kids wears which imported from Japan.
    Have a nice day!

    By Blogger Little Bug Shop, At 8:33 AM  

  • I must learn how to do the chicken nuggets... I am still not into deep frying at the moment but running out of idea what to put into the bento! :P

    Don't think darrius is keen to have the same items in his bento everyday... :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:21 PM  

  • Hey Alice, there's so many ways, I usually pound the kampung chicken to soften them before frying. Sometimes I use breadcrumbs for the 2nd coat instead of regular flour. I do the homemade fish pieces and prawn fritters same way. You could do soy braised, fried, baked or roasted as an alternative instead. I do those for dinners and not for bento, but since you are not packing for school but packing for home, you have more options.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 11:19 PM  

  • geeee....must agree that d animal figurines were so eye-catchy, any kids would be thrilled lar!! but wait till i get hold of such cutters first la!!
    ehh, next time dun make me look for d dictionery lar....with yr ever so lavish grammar, "avalanche"...apa itu lar, hahaha??? but seriously i fall so deeply in love reading yr grammars lor, LOL LOL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:01 AM  

  • Kawan,the oval cutter is the RM5 cutters from 100yen stores that come in a pack of 6, la. The teddy head and the bunny head too. Same pack. I just attach the head to the oval. Easy peasy!

    "Avalanche = sudden large amount", dearie. Thanks for your compliment.haha!

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 7:28 AM  

  • i like to come across ur blog because it will give me surprise everytime about bento

    By Blogger Hazel, At 11:40 AM  

  • hey christene..have not visited u for sometime..i like these bento..so... pretty to eat.

    By Blogger Deana E, At 11:18 AM  

  • beautiful!! the cheese seems to of 2 different colours. did you use different cheese for the nose and the head??

    By Blogger Rachel, At 12:50 PM  

  • Thanks for your kind words, Hazel. HOw is the little beanie coming along?Can't wait to meet her !

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 5:40 PM  

  • Hey Deana, I am feeling guilthy not visiting you too...been so busy lately, even neglected bento post.haha. Still bento everyday, but have to find time to post.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 5:42 PM  

  • Hey Blessed Mom, how have you been? The white cheese is light cheese and the darker shade of yellow is the cheddar. You can find them at the cheese aisles. The cheddar is laughing cow brand and the light cheese is chesdale, which is higher in calcium. I had used the same for my initial first few kyaraben bento,those moo cow bento-s. *grin*

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 5:45 PM  

  • woah...very nice bento food!!! so beautiful. =)

    By Blogger Eve, At 2:53 PM  

  • Hey,
    yes, i sell them online. Here's my another blog: www.purplecollection.blogspot.com
    it's my 1st year blogoversary. So come and participate at http://purplecollection.blogspot.com/2009/02/1st-anniversary-give-away.html

    still 2 days to go. =)

    By Blogger Eve, At 6:57 PM  

  • Character bentos are really nice and I'm sure any kid would love this.

    By Blogger JK, At 11:23 AM  

  • Hello, I'm wondering where did you get the pink kamaboko? I can only find those white and a thin layer of pink only.

    Thanks

    By Blogger Mommy, At 4:29 PM  

  • Thanks for your kind words, Evelyn, and my, what beautiful cards you make. Each piece is an art in itself ! Will hop over to your other blog now ! If you hold a scrapbooking or cardmaking class for kids, I'd be the first ot sign Kimberly up !

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 9:59 PM  

  • Hey Jo-N !! HOw have you been? Me going to be maidless this month too! Beh tahan the maid, haha, sending her back !

    and yea! What is it about kids and character bento ! haha !

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 10:00 PM  

  • Hi, Moommy, there's 2 type of pink topped kamaboko. ONe is thicker than the other. Isetan's ones are thinner in pink and Jusco has both types. You gotta peer thru the see-thru white paper to see which one holds more pink and grab that one. Hope that helps !

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home









Ditch the Disposables





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape



Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket