allthingspurple

For Bento Posts under this blog itself, click "here" .For older bento posts, just click on the monthly archives at the side bar.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Flowers Overloaded Bentos

This is one of Kimberly's bento from last month. I have since given up trying to figure out which one is for which day, so I will just go in chronological order instead. Fortunately laptops has those auto named function for folders so I can just go by "New Folder 6".... "New Folder 7" consecutively. *grin*

This is Kimberly's bento.

Bento #118

SL386100

It's rice balls secured with yellow and orange lunchsheets strips and topped with turkey spam.

SL386104

Those red flowers are the red filament off the crab sticks cut outs. I topped them on top of the spam for contrast.

The red flowers were done the night before when I added crab sticks to stir fry vegetables.

I secured each spam topped rice ball with a foodpick so that the food stay in its place.

Since Kimberly likes lettuce, I lined the bento box with lettuce and opt for simplicity instead of cluttering the box with sliced zucchinis or other fruits.

I am actually suprised to learn that more kids than less don't really like lettuce. Most of my friends' kids do, and for the longest time ever, I am so used to seeing children nibbling on raw carrot sticks or steamed asparagus for snacks (as with both my kids when they were toddlers). Whenever we dined out, Kimberly and Ashley would pull the lettuce that lined the chicken or pork dishes out from the chicken/pork pieces and nibbles on them.

However, those with kids who don't touch lettuces or green, fret not, I rather think it is because kids are alos creatures of habit. There was a time when I did not introduce lettuce into their daily meals and for a time, they did not take to lettuces. But fortunately, after re-introducing greens back into their daily meals, they are now back to greens again. You may want to start with raw crunchy vege instead of cooked or steamed ones cos most kids like to crunch.

Anyhow, this here below is hubby's bento.

Bento #119

SL386193

Hubby is not one for bento but he would obliged if I fix him one for breakfast. He would say "no" to a lunch bento, though. He rather eat out with his cronies.

Hubby's staff actually phoned me to exclaim over this one, haha, because I normally don't do ornamental touches for hubby. This is normal for us bento-er but non-bentoers are usually fascinated by those little details. haha. That goes to speed bento packers like hubby's staffs too, who also pack bento meals most days for their lunch.

SL386218

Anyhow, hubby's bento is fried mee hoon with spams. The little green leaves are zucchinis. That's a boil egg in the divider container.

In the other divided container, there's 2 slices of oranges, 3 slices of apples and 2strawberries.

SL386162

Over on the far left, that's 4 steamed shiu mai for added protein. They were supposed to be for Ashley's lunchbox but I have decided to give Ashley some soy braised kampung chicken for school instead.

Ashley's lunchbox nowadays are just protein food (seafood or poultry) packed in lettuce so I dont think it qualify as a bento, and did not take pictures of those.

For Ashley's breaktime food, I packed these for her.

SL385817

It's also..*grin* what else? spam ! Yea, spam for the whole family that day.

Ashley has star shaped moulded rice on the bottom, star shaped spam in the middle and pink and white kamaboko , cut out .yea..haha..in star shaped to top them off.

SL385816

I didn't put a foodpick over hers to secure them cos the food hit the roof of the bento box when I strapped it up. So I know they won't be jiggling about.

I didn't have time to take picture of Ashley's packed bento meal though, cos I had need to go to court for a decision and I was already late. And hubby was already out of the door with AShley in his arms. He took Ashley to kindy that day.

So hope this long post made up for the long absence *grin*.

I should be free of heavy datelines 2 or 3 weeks later and hopefully, can post more bento posts by then, and/or hopefully, can revert back to my earlier daily posting by then. Haha.

Ena and those waiting for CD posts,I will be uploading them at the next post. My apology for the delay.

So, Happy Bentou-ing ! And to those who cloth diaper their babies, Happy CD-ing too !!

Have a great week ahead !

Labels:

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

31 Comments:

  • Nice sets there! Where to get Turkey Spam??? From the same Tulip brand too?

    My hubby is not too happy when I cook spam or any of those processed food for our meals except lap-cheong coz that one he loves big time!

    I must go shop for some magical food just for bento-ing! hahahaha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:05 PM  

  • Turkey Spam from "SPAM" brand lar, kawan. I am not sure if Tulip brand carries turkey or not.

    I guess if you dont use processed food for lunch or dinners, and only use it sparingly in bentomeals, ie. maybe making up about a small portion of the meal, it should be okay. As in most food, moderation is the key word. These spams makes very fast ornamental touches,although not as fast as using cheese slices.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 5:01 PM  

  • *weet weet* I see so much love for your hb ler...can see how sweet is his pretty wife :)

    By Blogger Chinneeq, At 7:39 PM  

  • Haha. Chinnee, this is only the first time I do these for him. And flower cut outs are pretty fast. *wink*

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:16 PM  

  • hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:00 PM  

  • Very nice bento. Very neat.

    By Blogger Annie Q, At 10:51 AM  

  • Hi, Hapi, thanks for visiting. That's a cool blog you have there. My kid was interested in the picture in your Yakitate post when I opened up your blog.*grin*

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:31 PM  

  • Thanks, Annie. Not often I do sparse bento,although sparse ones looks neat. My kids' bento box need to be tightly packed and often to the brim, so as to withstand any jiggling in their schoolbag.If you see the way she pull her trolleybag without care and run that fast all the way in to her classroom, you get the idea. *grin*

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:33 PM  

  • Thanks, Keyword, will pop over now have a look !!

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 10:13 AM  

  • Before I discovered your blog, I only heard of 'bento'. Now seeing your many bentos, I am educated, ha ha.
    Before long can get Masters degree, ha ha.

    You sure one Bento Master...and a 5th Dan in Bentos, ha ha.

    Have fun, Lee.

    By Blogger  Lee, At 5:06 AM  

  • I would be flying over the moon if my hubbies' colleagues called me up because of something that I cook!
    Your hubby must be so proud of you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:16 PM  

  • your bento is so beautiful..an art piece! it makes simple meal into beautiful ones!

    By Blogger Rachel, At 9:59 AM  

  • Thanks for your compliment, U. Lee, you certainly know how make my day *grin*

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 11:15 AM  

  • Haha..Angeline...I think he is rather pleased, and it's also because of his bento meals that his staff are now bento packers for their lunch as well.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 11:16 AM  

  • Thanks for your kind words, Rachel. Like you, I try to make the bento meals interesting for my kids. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to trying out the My Melody bento that you did a long time ago. I have been wanting to do that since I read about your My Melody post, and that was , what? one year ago? *grin*

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 11:19 AM  

  • Wahh your hubby's bento looks good, making me hungry eventho I've had my b'fast oredi hee hee...how to be slimmer la like this..?

    My hubby pun rather makan with his cronies..I guess sometimes he has lunch appointments to fulfill also..if in US mesti they all bawak lunchbox/bento box hari2 kan :)

    By Blogger Unknown, At 9:35 AM  

  • the flower turkey spam were indeed very eye catchy & u did it very neat...that made even nicer!!
    wonder what was yr huby reaction with all d compliments throwing to d wife...hahaha...sheepish smile???
    did he ever mention anythg to you...LOL ???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:15 PM  

  • wah hubby also gets his share!! ya i would also hide my "wife" bento if she make it for office lunch.

    By Blogger mommy of 3 angels, At 1:50 PM  

  • Millie, kat USA kan eat out mahal? More cost saving to bungkus from home. Here in Malaysia kan eating out is cheap? So,kiranya, "not seen" lar, kalau laki pun bungkus from home? haha!

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 5:55 PM  

  • Jacss, this neat bento actually defeat the definition of a bento. Since a neat and sparse one cannot be a tightly packed one.

    A bento in the true sense has to be tightly and densely packed in order to withstand jiggling during transport, but I figure this one can withstand the jiggling with assistance of those foodcup and with the food packed to the lid of the bento box.

    A bento is also 3 part carbo, 2 part vege/fruit and one part protein, so technically, those bento meals that did not contain protein or all the 3 types of food did not fulfil the requirement of a true bento at all. Ha ha!

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 6:01 PM  

  • Heehee..mommy of 3 angels, my husband didn't have to hide though, since his staff are mostly bento packers themselves. Sometimes they even ask to see the contents.*grin*

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 6:03 PM  

  • eh sorry ah, but that spam thingy is what huh? I thought spam is like ermm..rubbish emails LOL.

    It's very nice, I'm salivating all over.

    By Blogger jazzmint, At 4:55 AM  

  • Thanks, Jazzmint. The Spam is a brand, like Tulip. I will edit this put up a picture of it here when I get another one since so many people ask each time I use spam in the kids' bento.haha.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 8:35 AM  

  • beside making Bento, i think u r a good designer, haha

    By Blogger Hazel, At 1:45 PM  

  • Turkey spam? Haven't heard of it but this flower overloaded bento is lovely for girls.

    By Blogger JK, At 2:17 PM  

  • Nice bentos. Too bad the men don't really appreciate such details! The spam in your #118 hiding the lovely strips! :)

    By Blogger javapot, At 4:33 PM  

  • haha..thanks Hazel. I like what I do instead. Having said that, I also enjoy packing bento for the kids.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 4:38 PM  

  • Thanks Jo-N..and on the spam.haha..I rather think its time I put up a picture of the SPAM lunchmeat.*grin*

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 4:39 PM  

  • Hi allthingspurple, I'm new here. My name is Tina. I saw an old post/comment from you that you engaged a confinement lady from Peiling Confinement centre and you mentioned that she was very good. Can I just trouble you to let me have the name of that confinement nanny? I am expecting my 2nd baby in August and would like to pay a visit to Peiling. Maybe I could make a special request for that particular nanny. Thanks. : )

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:02 PM  

  • Tina, I can't remember her name, but they have this brochure and her photo is inside the brochure. The picture is kind of tiny though, but she's the one with short hair and spectacles. She is one of their top confinement ladies. Have a well earned rest during confinement !

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 8:27 PM  

  • Allthingspurple, thank you so much for the info. I'll watch out for her photo. And thanks again for your wishes. Take care. Tina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home









Ditch the Disposables





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape



Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket