allthingspurple

For Bento Posts under this blog itself, click "here" .For older bento posts, just click on the monthly archives at the side bar.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hatching Chick Bento

Bento #112

This was last Thursday's bento. There isn't any bento meals on Wednesday because I was late for court. I had to go in office to get some stuff so had to leave the house really early and left the kids to hubby's "good hand". They both made it to school ..haha..it was a relief to know. Besides, Kimberly would be having pizza from her school's lunch anyway so she is bound not to "starve".

Kimberly didn't get a bento Thursday because she requested to buy from the canteen like her friends does.

So, this is Ashley's bento.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Because I know that she hasn't been having much protein in school lately, I thought I top it up with some of her favourite prawn fritters for her lunch instead. They would be having fried rice, which Ashley doesn't fancy, so I gave her some white rice for lunch.

I topped the white rice with a hatching chick for her viewing pleasure. Haha.

The hatching chick is really quite simple to make. Just segregate the white and the yellow from an egg and put both in seperate ceramic bowl and dunked it in the microwave or the steamer till its just cooked. Then cut. haha.


















Ever since I set eyes on this cutters that I got from CP, I knew that I wanted to do a hatching chick bento.

Isn't this cutter just the perfect shape for egg shell?


It even come with an instructions book on how to make faces !! Kimberly would have love these little girl faces !!


The cutter didn't offer the inner shape for the egg yolk, so I use a cicle cutter and trim it down the sides to fit the eggshell.



CP's cutter has this puffy little cloud shape too, which I just love, hence I fix Ashley one little Ms cloud to accompany Little Chick.



Oh yea, be mindful not too overcook the eggs, else it will curl up like Ms Cloud's tail ends over there. If you use a smaller bowl, you get a nice thick egg white, but I hadn't wanted to dig out the small bowl since the larger one was within reach. The egg white didn't turn out nice and thick, but long and thin. I had to top them up double instead.

I sat them both on cut out pieces of lunch sheet for easy transfer and to distinguish the whites from the rice.

As usual, I topped the bento meal with cut out carrots, since both my kids are those for carrots. Instead of scattering my usual teddy bear carrots on top, it's little bunny carrots this time. The teddy bear cutter was the only cutter I have small enough for carrots *grin* till bunny cutter came along. Got those bunny cutters from 100yen shop a few weeks back. Man, I was happy when Chooi Peng told me about them. Grab one for myself and one for CP and just as well too, cos they were all sold out like the next 2 days itself.

Once you get into bentou-ing, you have an idea of what kind of food you can fit into the shape you that wanted to create on your bento meal,and it keeps getting easier and faster. If you check those Japanese mom's blogs, its always the same stuff, ie, egg for anything yellow or white, (unless you colour them), vegetables for any trees or plant creations, quail eggs or any round food for characters. After awhile, you catch on and you get to know what you can create out of a character or an object. The ideas are more or less the same. The only modification is that you suit your pantry and the stuff you have in your fridge to fit into them. Sounds simple, yea? *grin* It is, truly. Haha. Hope this will get you guys on the track to kyaraben bento every once in awhile. It really is only another 5 or 10 minute's extension of your time.

Happy bentou-ing guys !! And have a great week ahead !!

Labels:

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

19 Comments:

  • Prawn fritters looks delicious.
    That cutter is cool.

    By Blogger Par, At 3:47 PM  

  • Very nice bento and it's too cute to be eaten.

    Ya, my younger boy requested me not to make any bento for him. He wants to queue up with his friend to buy food from the stall.

    By Blogger icfamily5, At 4:49 PM  

  • The hatching chick with egg and lunch sheet is very creative!
    I really like that face cutters. So glad that CP managed to get this product for us. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:39 PM  

  • Wow! that cutter looks really 'chim' leh....

    Kimberly wanted a change of taste? *wink*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:54 PM  

  • I am still keeping all the lunch sheets... for what I have no ideas!!! hahahaha I just love to buy and keep don't I???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:12 PM  

  • yor...i really love yr prawn fritters lar...d color & texture!!
    u gotta bring for d picnic, hehehe
    my boys too prefer to buy food from canteen wor...sei mou!! but i'm not gonna let that happen as their canteen foods r too unhealthy (lots of fried stuffs...)
    & expensive (reap $$ off the kids)!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:04 PM  

  • Hi Christene,
    Just drop by to wish you and family....“Gong Xi Fa Cai” …
    Wishing you & family a Happy Chinese New Year.

    By Blogger My Lovely 'A', At 2:34 PM  

  • Happy Chinese New Year to you, Christene. Love the hatching chick.

    By Blogger JK, At 11:20 AM  

  • The hatching chick is lovely. Happy CNY to you and family.

    By Blogger A Mom's Diary, At 4:09 PM  

  • the hatching chick is so lovely!

    Happy lunar new year to you and family!

    By Blogger Rachel, At 10:57 PM  

  • wow, you are a Bento Queen :) Your bentos are very nice. Don't know how you find the time to do them :D Your girls are lucky. It was so nice to meet you and your lovely girls today :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:11 PM  

  • Hey Christene, I didn't have the group photo today :( I didn't give my camera to the guys to take it cos was in a hurry because of the rain...heheheeh. I'm sure peggy, annie or jacss have the group photo. I've just posted about it here - http://chumsyashley.info/2009/02/a-picnic-we-will-go/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:18 PM  

  • 新年快乐 Christene :)

    The bento looks soooo CUTE! Now I am tempted to get more cutters :p But I don't think I have time soon for all these. :(

    By Blogger LZmommy, At 8:54 AM  

  • You are really the Queen of Bento lunch boxes!

    By Blogger Health Freak Mommy, At 5:50 PM  

  • Happy Chinese New Year to u and ur family, nice bento you have

    By Blogger Hazel, At 10:57 AM  

  • (( K@Y )): yea, haha. love it. its a multi cutter.


    icfamily5 : thanks dear, I was told that the first thing that got eaten is the chicken though.haha.

    shoppingmum : yea. and she is fast too !!

    Angeline: the cutter IS really 'chim'.haha. can cut ham, can cut seaweed !! Yea, heehee, Kimberly wants to queue to buy !! Fortunately, its only sometimes.

    My Lovely 'A': hey, cheong, happy new year to you too !!!

    Hey, JO-N, long time no hear. I know how hectic it is with 3 kids and no maids.

    Hi, A Mom's Diary, Happy CNY to you too dear.

    Rachel's mom,its quite fast work. seperate egg white from egg yolk,beat n strain it, then dump in a ceramic bowl in the microwave the oven. then cut.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 10:04 AM  

  • yea, Jacss, tell me about it. all they ever get is fries, fried fish balls, fried hot dogs, goreng pisang. If its fried, u can bet they buy it.haha

    Hey, Chumsy's mom, it was lovely meeting you too. I didnt have the group pic either .have to get it from annie and peggy

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 10:06 AM  

  • Hi,

    Where did u get the multi cutter with faces designs? where's CP?

    Thanks

    By Blogger Sheryn, At 11:39 AM  

  • Hi Sheryn, CP is the girl called Chooi Peng mentioned in the how-now-brown-cow bento and her link was inserted there. But I should have inserted her link at every post instead. Its at www.wchpeng.com. Look for the markethall, Either that, or just scroll down the said bento post and get CP's link from there, ok? Have a great day today.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home









Ditch the Disposables





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape



Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket