allthingspurple

For Bento Posts under this blog itself, click "here" .For older bento posts, just click on the monthly archives at the side bar.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Tulip Bento

Bento #114

This is probably the last bento that I made before CNY, cos I can't locate any others in my laptop * sheepish grin* save for those I made after CNY.

So will post this first.

This is a speed bento.

I cooked the baked egg in the oven. It's really simple and quick. Just beat up an egg or two with salt and pepper and place them in a ceramic bowl and bake till cooked through. If you intended it to go with bread instead of rice, you may want to add some cheese or cream in them.

SL385538


This was Kimberly's bento for Friday. Ashley stays in daycare till 4pm or 6pm most days but Kimberly is back by 12.30 on Fridays, as Fridays are half days. I went home to wait for her, picked her up and brought her to work with me. She ate this on the way in the car, as with most Fridays when she has to go in with me.

If you are wondering if Ashley is missing out, actually, she is missing out on regular bento, since her teachers wanted her to be part of the lunch crowd. They also mentioned that they wanted to avoid the teeny weeny little ones (Ashley is in a class of 3 to 4 years old kids) feeling dissapointed that they didn't get the same bento meal as her. I totally understand, cos I would be sad too if my kid wanted something that her mom doesn't have a clue about what the child is trying to tell her.

However, I do try to pack a bento meal for her every now and then, to remind her that her mom is thinking of her while she is spending those long hours in daycare. To be honest, my heart often feels a pinch whenever I am reminded of my 3 year old having to stay back in daycare while the other little ones gets to go home. That's why I often try to pick her up by 4pm and then set my alarm at 3am to finish up the workload.

I also try to make sure that Ashley isn't missing out on her nutrient and try to make it up by packing her to school with a protein food or two to go with her lunch.

It's usually a dual combo mix of either mincemeat balls, chicken chops fried with breadcrumbs, braised drumlets, honey & soy steamed chicken drumstick, carrot stuffed kamaboko, fishball, or whichever protein food I happened to pack for Kimberly on that day.

Anyhow, will stop digressing now.

Kimberly's bento is a simple lunch of rice, spam and egg.

I lined the bento box with vegetables first, in this case, lettuce. Then I pack the rice in.

SL385484

Topped the rice with a slice of spam cut out in equal size to the bento box. As you may have noticed from my old posts, I usually use the bento box itself to cut out spam or bread to fit the box. But in this case, the lettuce took out some space so I used the circle cutter to trim down the sides to get the spam to fit.

Then I got the baked egg in.

To get the baked egg in , I turned the ceramic bowl that the egg is baked in, upside down over the bento box and stuff it to fit the bento.

Ashley has the same lettuce, spam and omelette as Kimberly, but minus the rice, packed to school with her so that she can have them to go with her lunch.

There is an uneven patch over the middle of the baked egg, so I cut a circle out of the egg lunch sheet I got from CP to cover it.

The Japanese moms advise that you should beat the egg and then strain it to achieve a smooth finish, but I only have ever done that for the Hatching Chicks Bento and the Field Trip Bento.

I thought that with the tulips covering the top, the eggs needn't be that smooth. Besides I haven't got the time.

So the baked egg were topped with tulips. Thats a spam tulip and a red pepper tulip. I sprinkle the gaps with some flowers cut out from the spinach lunch sheets.

I did warn you to expect liberal use of lunchsheets in forthcoming bento-s. Haha.

Anyhow, seeing that CP warned me that there may not be forthcoming orders of lunchsheet coming in, I had dump the last packet of lunch sheet in the freezer to preserve it longer.

Sigh.. I have found them so useful and would love it if CP would bring in more later. Those who purchase more than one lunchsheet packet from CP may want to consider doing the same, preserving them in the freezer till needed, cos you probably would have to sparing with them to make them last till she manage to get some more in.

The red pepper tulip atop the egg was cut out the day before when I cooked stir fry red pepper, tomatoes and brocolli for dinner the night before. I had left them in a lock and lock intending to use them the next day for bento. These little preparations can sure speed up a bento.

To pacify our Queen , haha, who complained about me not having tutorials, I posted here below tools I used for this bento instead.

SL385469

I used that Kaiser circle cutter to cut out Ashley's egg into neat circles (since Ashley usually spend some time examining her bento box before eating) and to trim down the spam to fit the box. The green stems of the tulips were cut with the crown cutter. I laid a slice of cheese between the tulip and the stem so that the stems would stay in place. The small round cutters is to accentuate the spam's petals.

Hope that helps you guys too.

So that's Kimberly's bento rounding up bento posts from the week before last.

Now if I can just get out last weeks' bento posts, I will be well on the way to regularising my posts. Haha.

Wanted to post a few more bento meals together but this post is already too long, since I digress so much.

So, have a great day today, guys, and happy bentou-ing !!!

Labels:

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

20 Comments:

  • this is no longer a food.
    this is a talent, a masterpiece, an art.... most importantly, its a work from the heart that goes right into the kid's soul. Amazing Mommy! Every bento is incredible hardwork (to me). I hope your kids appreciate...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:11 PM  

  • Where did you get those cute cutters! The tulip is so nice. BTW, I can't seem to use the cutters on lunch sheets and can only punch them with the punchers. But anyway, I'm almost out of lunch sheets until CP orders again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:07 PM  

  • Love this!!!

    btw, what are spam?? its seems like a good way to decorate the bento!

    By Blogger Rachel, At 10:39 PM  

  • Angeline, you are an amazing mother yourself !! And appreciate or not? hmmm...let me think ..I think Ashley hasn't a clue about her mom's love...haha..while Kimberly loves bringing a bento to school.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:43 AM  

  • Shoppingmum, Brenda got these for me from Singapore last year when she went shopping. I think she got them from a shop that sells Sanrio's things.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:44 AM  

  • Rachel, spams are like luncheon meat, and because of respect to other religion at the same canteen table, I tend to use spam for the kids bento rather than luncheon meat cos spam has turkey spam instead of just ham. will try to edit this to show you when I take a pic of one, ok?

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:47 AM  

  • well done, love your tulip bento. i thot part of the bento pleasure is to 'show off' to other kids what food your mom had lovingly packed for u!!!? Lolz

    By Blogger javapot, At 9:00 AM  

  • Javapot...heehee...the underlining principle is so that my kid can have more friends. Kids would tend to crowd around her if its eye catching enuf. It's especially important in the first 3 months of the school's new term. Once the friendship within the circle is establish, I can let go a bit. yea, I know, I am such a worry cat. I worry about everything under the sun concerning my kids. Are they happy..do they have friends in school...can they see the blackboard from where they are siting..sigh..ok ok. okay.....i will stop here before someone throw their bento box at me. haha!

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 6:40 PM  

  • how to eat cute food like this ah ? if me, i'll just stare at it.

    By Blogger Sasha Tan, At 3:47 PM  

  • wow...what a long post ehh!! tq for sharing wif a tutorial but then i would be lazy to chase up to this level...LOL
    d pepper tulip was nice to see but i dun eat pepper wan...wonder if yr girl eats them, hahaha
    d microwaved egg sounds easy, shd try!! loving mama my fren...

    By Blogger Jacss, At 10:03 PM  

  • Haha. Sasha, this one a normal bento only. Just use cutter and cut out two tulips, dats all. But glad u liked it !

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:13 AM  

  • Jacss, cut out 2 tulip shapes with a cutter oso consider chasing up this level,ar...u should have seen what tedious stuff some bento moms would do for ornaments instead...hee..heee.

    Red pepper... my friend, you should be eating red pepper leh..tsk tsk... *grin* ....then your kids would eat them. haha. must set good example mah.

    Kimberly never used to eat them, but I made her try some the night before. So this time she would eat it even if she didn't like it. This species very sweet though, but I don't know how to differenciate btw those sweet ones and pedas ones. I taste them raw to test them out before giving them to the kids.

    long post...haha..just like me to digress yea?

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:26 AM  

  • looks so yummy. ur children r so lucky to have u!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:24 AM  

  • wow..very pretty. you are so creative. love reading abt your bento :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:55 AM  

  • Hey Renaye, thanks for your kind words !! I do mostly quick and simple kyaraben though. Those with tedious details can be time consuming and I am always on the lookout for quick and easy ones.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:18 PM  

  • mommy to chumsy...you have been such a social butterfly lately *wink*..I have enjoyed reading your blog about all those bloggers you have been meetin up with!! I think CNY is so very the season to be meeting up !! haha!!

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:21 PM  

  • Your bento sets are really inspiring!! Now I'm very keen to start my own bento set lunch for work. Plus, I love hello kitty stuff. So more reason for me to shop for them now. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:49 PM  

  • Hey chuishia, thanks for your kind words. Happy to hear you are bento-ing for work !! A good place to shop is www.nst.my and www.wchpeng.com (look for the markethall) . If you dont feel good about buying online, you can always ask for their numbers and meet them for pick up.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 3:52 PM  

  • kawaii..

    i dont think i want to eat it... cause is too pretty to swallow it all up in the stomach...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:20 PM  

  • Now i know how the lunchsheet can be use for. Before this, i don't know what the lunchsheet is. Thanks for sharing!

    This is another cute bento!! Love the green flower, i like the shape. :)

    By Blogger Annie Q, At 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home









Ditch the Disposables





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape



Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket