allthingspurple

For Bento Posts under this blog itself, click "here" .For older bento posts, just click on the monthly archives at the side bar.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Of Bento tools and kits Part 2 of 2

Earnestly, I think bento tools are such wise tools to invest, as in any kitchen tools. I pack on-the-road food for the kids EVERYDAY !! At any material time, I have a child's backpack stuffed with cereal, biscuits, nuggets or fishballs or weiners. And I always have a cooler bag full of sliced fruits, yogurt or grapes or banana, milo, juice etc inside the car because I lug my kids wherever I go.

I go into the office after 5 pm sometimes to finish up some work cos i had needed to be home by 4 pm to wait for Kimberly to finish school and to pick up Ashley from daycare. And i had needed to look for food for them almost ALL THE TIME ! It is so much convenient to just confine them in the conference room with finger food and their toys and books instead of wasting that extra half an hour to 45 minutes looking for a place ta-pau-ing food and then pouring out noodles and stuff into bowls etc.

I suppose if one has a reliable maid who could stay at home with the kids, things may be different. There isnt that much everyday on-the-road food packing involved. But half the time i have unreliable maids and/or no maids.

Even when doing errants and chores, I spend half the time looking for food for the kids. For the longest time ever, I had taken to packing food from home. Now, with Bento tools, food preparation is more fun and so much more convenient.

Bento preparation takes a little time, but trust me, driving around, lugging 2 kids to ta pau and then lugging everything and everyone back to the office; or making them eat in the cafe or whatever, is a whole lot less fun than preparing bento and them having food they can eat in their stroller or in the car.

Plus, bearing in mind if your kid is a picky eater like my Ashley, you may be needed to pack for school all the time.

Now with bento tools, its a bonus to be able to make things pretty for her.

Kimberly seeing all the bento meals that Ashley is having, has also asked for her own set to bring for breaktime as well (her lunch is provided in school). I figure with school going kids, investment in bento tools are definitely not going into waste.

Following my below post on bento tools , here below are the rest. Finally had some time to load them up at photo bucket.

We were at FIL's last weekend and Ashley loves to explore the garden. FIL has a garden huge enough to keep her occupied for sometime, leaving me with some me-time to blog. Finally...phew !

I know this post has been outstanding, as reminded by my fellow bloggers.

Anyhow, these here are food picks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

YOu pick fruits or skewer food through them for ease and convenience. Bento is all about ease and convenience and none of that picking bones and seeds off your food stuff.

You can never have enough toothpicks. Kids lose them all the time.

Bento's food are to be 3 part carbo, 2 part fruit and vege and one part protein. Calcium and desserts wasnt supposed to be counted, i think, cos none of the articles i read suggested calcium or desserts, but i add a snack or two sometimes. Plus i see many pictures of bento with added jelly or snack on the side dish.


These are the mayo, ketchup sauce containers. You can put tomato ketchup or mayonaise in them to go along with your food. I put jellybeans in them sometimes.

Photobucket

This one here is Kimberly's favourite.

Photobucket

The rest of the containers....the monkey one has a banana shaped spreader spoon inside it. I use the banana spreader container to put peanut butter for Kimberly to go with her Ritz crackers. For Ashley, its plain butter. They enjoy spreading stuff on their biscuits during long rides to FIL's house on weekends.

Photobucket

I have been known for putting chocolate spread in them for the kids. You can add finger/stick biscuits on the side for them to dip into.

I use another sauce container for hundreds and thousands or rainbow spinkles for the kids to coat their chocolate coated dipped sticks into.

Like this :

Photobucket

I use Dove's chocolate spread , which is a lot better than other chocolate spreads.

Cheong, the Kellogg multi grain you ask me about is the cereal in the above picture.

These are one of my favourite. Banana containers. It saved the bananas from getting bruised in transport. My kids usually turn up their nose at the banana if its bruised so this is a cost-saving device, actually. It saves the banana from ending up in the trash can . ha ha..if not in momma's tummy.

Photobucket


These are soy sauce containers.

Photobucket

Photobucket

the little ones on the side are free gifts from one of the online store owner.

Photobucket


These are weiner cutters.

Photobucket

The weiner cutters are free gifts from another online store owner. One makes a Tulip weiner and the other makes octopus shaped weiner. Those stray little soy bottles are also free gits from another online store owner.

These are the side dishes. Useful for putting wet stuff like grapes or anything that you want segregated for it to be easy on the eyes.

Photobucket

These are cupcake shaped cups that i use to put muffins or small cakes and buns. I also use them for corn and cereals. But they are not air tight or leak proof, so its better for muffins and buns than for food that need to stay crispy.

Photobucket


These are paper cups that I use for dry mini wheetabix, Kelogg's multi grain, milo balls etc.

Similar to Cheong aka MylovelyA, I was also kind of disapointed that these are not plastic or aluminium, but my own fault entirely, for not reading the description properly.

Be that as it may, those cups are still really pretty. And i like that it's gloss over on the surface so that wet stuff doesnt leak through. But i normally use it for dry stuff though.

If I have some time, I would love to bake some muffins in them for the kids

Photobucket

These are the bento straps. The hold bento boxes together if you are not using those containers with side clipes

Photobucket

These are cookie cutters.They double up as cookie cutter, toast cutter, ham cutter, egg white cutter, steam vege cutter, sliced fruits cutter etc.


Photobucket

I love this one. I use this one for the kids' dinner over the holiday to cut ham and egg figurines to lay over their rice. This one comes with a recipe book to teach you how to cut up figures complete with arms and legs and faces.

Photobucket

These are all my old cookie cutters.

Photobucket

These are baran dividers. Help pretty up your bento box and segregate different variety of food or wet from dry food like steamed carrot from sandwich, for example.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

These flags are free gifts. Plus some wet wipes .

Photobucket



These are jelly moulds. YOu can double them up as moulds for ice, chocolate, pudding etc. These here are Hello Kitty mould and a Pooh Bear mould.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have only used the Hello Kitty ones. I got some chocolates from the bakery aisle, melt them in the microwave and pour them in, then set them in the fridge to cool. Kimberly loves them !!

This is a pudding and cake mould. It is oven-safe.

Photobucket

I havent used it yet. I have big plans for the holiday. Drew up a revision chart for Kimberly's school work, cakes and stuff we can bake. Till today..nyeh..nothing...And this cake mould went back into the stash.

Okay, I think i didnt miss anything out. Sigh...i did, I missed out the nori punchers. Anyhow, will see if i have time to load them up. Right, now to move this post from last weekend's draft into today's post.

Happy Bento-ing, my fellow Bento addicts !!

Labels:

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

34 Comments:

  • Oooh, my dear...those are pretty stuff you got yourself there. You forgot to add the link to where you got them from :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:03 PM  

  • you got to be kidding, Joyce, there's at least 15 different places where i got them stuff from. ha ha. I cant even remember where i got each of them from. Some are bought by my Taiwanese neighbour armed with my long list, cos the couple goes to Japan for business every 4 or 5 months, but majority of them are from ebay, like everyone's else.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 2:35 PM  

  • Hi, I came over from HFM's blog and was really amazed looking at your vast collection of bento tools...so cute and pretty.

    By Blogger Fussy mum, At 4:28 PM  

  • Wow..u hv so many nice bento tools. Guess u must hv been shopping around.

    By Blogger My Lovely 'A', At 4:37 PM  

  • my gosh...what a collection u have. I have bot some from Ebay too, but i think they are extremely overpriced in Ebay + shipping.

    Wish i know someone who is going to Japan who can buy me some from there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:05 PM  

  • Ahhhh you got such a big collection. I would always order on ebay but now I found a store locally that offer some bento items. Still I find food picks aren't easy to find. I agree that their worth buying. In some way I feel it might be more fun if I were to pack a bento meal for someone else other then me.

    By Blogger Par, At 8:55 PM  

  • hi fussy mum, thanks for visiting. But what's HFM, by the way?

    Cheong, easy to shop online only wat. Just type bento and go through and see what you like

    Shooi, ebay shipping is hefty. It is kind of embarassing for me to get my neighbour to get those stuff too, cos she also need to get her business associates's wife to get my stuff for me in the short time she was there. And i didnt get all the stuff i want for lack of time.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 9:42 PM  

  • True, Kay, but the local online store owner doesnt have any bento straps, baran divider, side dish divider, banana container, food picks, food flags, ketchup /mayo container etc. She has loads of other cool stuff like neat cookie/ham/vege cutters etc. I have asked her to get stuff like bento straps, food picks and side dish in for us and today, i received an email from her and found she has added soy container. Perhaps later, she will add those stuff in too.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 9:48 PM  

  • i have lots of cutter and mold use for my baking..will look for other interesting 'bento' hahaha new word for me..

    By Blogger Deana E, At 10:30 PM  

  • oh,...its Health Freak Mummy.

    By Blogger Fussy mum, At 10:32 PM  

  • Woah! Great collection!

    I don't know if I should invest more... I think my stuff is starting to invade my MIL's house... hehehhe

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:16 AM  

  • Wow! Look at your collection! I might be getting more too :)

    By Blogger LZmommy, At 1:39 AM  

  • You have a lot of colourful and cute bento accessories! BTW, thx for stopping-by my blog earlier. Cheers...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:36 AM  

  • which online shop is good? looking for short cut hi hi...

    I am sooo amaze...

    By Blogger chanelwong, At 11:36 AM  

  • My goodness.... I am so drooling over your collection. I think it's more of a hobby of collecting them for you eh, hahaha..... I love those stuff myself too. Since young, I've loved cute stuff. Now, I have a good excuse to buy them coz I hv 3 gals.
    Where did you get these stuff? Sell some to me lar....

    By Blogger Health Freak Mommy, At 11:43 PM  

  • Hi Deana, i knew about bento from before but there wasnt so much awareness about it then. YOu already save a lot doubling your cookie cutter for sandwiches, ham and vegetables.

    fussy mom, oh. ha ha. HFM is health freak mommy !

    Hi Angeleyes, if you find it useful, then it is a wise investment. AFter all, the kids are going to bring food all throughout their school life , maybe till secondary school. I know i did cos i used to hate canteen food.

    LZmommy, you should get more since you are so good with your ideas

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:46 AM  

  • Hey Dora, the pleasure is all mine !

    Chanel, i am not sure i understand what you meant by a shortcut. just email me if you need to know more,okay?

    HFM, sigh, bento is addictive, but since i am already packing food on the road and for school already EVERYDAY, it is not extra trouble at all to make it a little bit prettier. I will email u the list of stores as and when i receive their newsletter. And, my dear , how to sell you? i just got those stuff lar, but we can swap future purchase, cos i am sure i dont need 8 similar pooh bear mayo container (they come in a set of 8) and 6 soy bottles of the same design etc.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:53 AM  

  • Hey! 'Bento' will be the next most popular word on the searches from now... I am deeming your blog 'unsafe' for visit now hahaha.... too much addictions ;)

    By Blogger Jess, At 1:45 AM  

  • Looks good..I might try it as Ian is also picky eater..

    By Blogger Sue, At 11:49 PM  

  • am really influenced by now. These things look so cute. Isn't it good to have daughters?

    By Blogger Chinneeq, At 3:14 PM  

  • hey.... i was about to intro u to a site selling bento kits but looking at your collection. Nevermind lar, I think you have more variety than they do, muahahahahaha. And u know what I saw u on Sat again in 1 U, but from far lar, I spotted pretty Ashley!

    By Blogger Vivianz, At 10:51 PM  

  • ha ha. Jess you are so farnee !!

    Sue, trust me, it did make my picky eater eat. Bento works.

    Hey mummy to qiqi, i love love love having daughters. ha ha

    Hi Vivianz, thanks but I already know Veronica, the only other online store in Malaysia besides our mutual friend. She loan me a lot of cool stuff like Hello Kitty cookbooks and point me to lots of cool links. Its just that as a matter of courtesy to our mutual friend whom i know longer than Veronica, its not nice for me to mention her.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 11:17 PM  

  • But hey, VivianZ, were you at the Kidsport's Members' Carnival Day too on Saturday? Loads of food and loads of games there, yea? Kimberly and Ashley has lots of fun ! and lots of prizes too. ha ha

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 11:21 PM  

  • I am totally amazed. Made a list of all your tools. Will keep it safe so I can draw on it when I need it in future. Mind to email me the list of stores too, when you do so to HFM?

    By Blogger A Mom's Diary, At 12:21 AM  

  • Hi Wai Leng, i have already send out to HFM and the others. But when i get new newsletters will forward them to you as well.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:56 AM  

  • I WANT DOTTERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

    Someone ... pls let me adopt your dotter??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Maybe ... just maybe my boys MAY like them. They do like cute little things...?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:37 AM  

  • Hi there! Can I have your list too? Lucas is gonna start preschool soon and after his success with peanut butter sandwiches, I think I should make bentos for him too...

    By Blogger KittyCat, At 8:10 AM  

  • you know what? since your first post on bento tools, I had pestered hubby almost daily to go Jusco to shop for them! and we couldn't find the egg moulds I so wanted! was I disappointed! this time, I'll go to 1U's jusco :-)

    By Blogger sting, At 12:11 AM  

  • Mott. ha ha. you can still try for no.4. !!! love the pics of your 3 "monyet" in facebook !

    KittyCAt, Lucas in playschool now? how is he liking it? i sure miss your posts.

    Sting, Jaya Jusco only have rice moulds and bento boxes (adult ones). Send in your email and i will forward to you as and when i receive newsletters from those online stores the next few days.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 7:36 AM  

  • Hello, my gosh... send me the online store too. hehe...

    By Blogger Moo Mummy, At 2:20 PM  

  • Alisia, send in your email address. i dont have it leh.

    Wai Leng, i dont have your email add either.

    BTW, can someone teach this template challenged dunce to copy and paste the ebay links to this box? cutting and pasting doesnt work , neither does it shift from window to window. The links are too long to type, all those numbers etc and funny alphabets etc .

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 2:52 PM  

  • hey can you tell me where to get the banana container. i have a real problem with the banana getting squashed and yucky in the bottom of abby's bag, and i end up have to eat it :roll: yuck yuck yuck.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:07 PM  

  • my eyes nearly pop out seeing your this post! wow! what a collection you got there!

    By Blogger Rachel, At 10:18 PM  

  • wow..tats quite a collection of bento sets :)

    could you share the online website you bought most of your bento sets from? pretty pls? :)

    By Blogger Pink Cotton, At 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home









Ditch the Disposables





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape



Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket