allthingspurple

For Bento Posts under this blog itself, click "here" .For older bento posts, just click on the monthly archives at the side bar.

Monday, January 05, 2009

Mushroom Men Bento

Bento #107

SL384554

SL384564

I could barely drag myself out of the bed today. The kids are back to school again after a 6 week long school holiday. After enjoying a bento break, it's now back to setting the alarm clock at 6 a.m. It was bliss having to be able to lie in the last few weeks, though.

Ashley didn't get a bento cos she slept late last night and won't be going to school today. Good thing too, cos being the first day, I had needed to send Kimberly to school and sort out her school stuff.

I asked hubby to mind Ashley while I send Kimberly to school on her first day for the year. Located her classroom and since I was there, showed her her locker, shove her art block bag and Mandarin class folder into them, put a lock on them and attach her locker keys on her smart card's tag, then went over to the reception area to top up her cash in her smart tag for just in case she needs them. I even have time to go over to the bookshop to get her some extra exercise books and to catch up with some of the moms before I leave. That's how late Ashley slept in today.

I had a little time to blog when I got home cos Ashley was still asleep. haha.

So, this here is today's bento.

It's Kimberly's bento. It's a cheese sandwich bento.

SL384516

At least, that's a cheese sandwich beneath all the Mister Mushrooms. Since I have weiners and cheese, I thought I do some mushroom mens. You can use halved cherries, halved tomatoes besides weiners for the top and weiner instead of cheese for the stalks as an alternative.

That's weiners for the Mr Mushroom's tops over there and cheese stix for the bottom. Cutting those were fast. Just half the sausage circles and cut short the cheese stix, easy peasy.

Those white spots, however, takes some time. These white spots are boiled fish balls. I boiled the sliced fishballs with the weiners and the chikuwa earlier this morning.

I used a short straw (as I have seen most Japanese moms do) on the fishball as a cutter and then poke them circles out with a foodpick. Then use a food tweezer to place them stragetically over the mushroom tops. That read, in other words, time consumingly. Haha !

I secured those spots with some mayonaise and hoped that they stay. That being said, I carried her bento box for her today (gingerly and at level, haha), so that they don't move too much. I guess those food ornaments should have stayed intact.

SL384559

I stuffed some zucchini into the chikuwa and added some cherries on the side for her bento.

Oh, shoot, Ashley woke. I guess I will just send her along to school then. I thought she would be up only by eleven or so, instead of this early. Just as well anyhow, with her being in school, that will give me some time to finish off some work in the office.

Heck, it's already year 2009 !!!

May the economy turmoil go easy on all of us and despite the odds, may the greater success be yours! and remember, if life serve us a lemon, make a lemonade!!!

Have a great year ahead, guys !! And and to those who bento, happy bentou-ing, my fellow bento-ers !!!

Labels:

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

27 Comments:

  • Same here, I was struggling this morning too after 10 days break. LOL!
    I like the way you put the sandwich at the bottom and I noticed that it shaped exactly like the lunch box!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:50 AM  

  • After 5 months of getting up at 9 - 10 a.m, I struggled to get up at 6 yesterday. And suppose to be back in Bento action. No inspiration, not creative. :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:06 AM  

  • your mushroom is really creative...gosh, i cannot imagine the time u have to spend making them!

    By Blogger Chinneeq, At 8:54 AM  

  • Wah, your Ashley goes to a private school? Cool! I always 'u-turn' this morning. Was a drag! lol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:25 AM  

  • You are finally back to bentoing. Like those creative ideas of yours.

    I also wake up the same time as you to prepare bento for my boys. Very tiring indeed but guess we have no choice right.

    By Blogger icfamily5, At 9:30 AM  

  • Cute-sy mushroom!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:49 AM  

  • Waliow!!! Pui-fook! Pui-fook!
    I could NEVER have the patience to do these beautiful and cute bentos.
    Kudos man!!!

    By Blogger NomadicMom, At 9:48 PM  

  • Wah, this mushroom bento so cute.. Glad to see you back to bento again.. Hoping more to come.. :)

    By Blogger Bonnie, At 8:48 AM  

  • yeh yeh...chris is back with bento, our eyes got 'fook hei' ler...
    bet all eyes would pause a while there at d bento assuming they stay in-tact lar...so eye-catchy!
    but then hor...doubt i will hv time for this during school days, maybe weekend can try!!
    actually hor....i don't think those tiny bitsy stuffs will stay with movement lor....hahaha having said that, i reckon that the beautiful sight of it being captured in d camera is more important...LOL!!
    keep it coming woman!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:36 PM  

  • Mushrooms is cute!
    Glad to see more bento pics!
    Mmmm cherries... I need to get some.

    By Blogger Par, At 8:50 PM  

  • I like your bento. Too pretty to eat them. Very patience mummy. clap clap hands. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:15 AM  

  • I love this bento so much and it's love at first sight. What's the white role by the side? What's chikuwa?

    By Blogger JK, At 1:54 PM  

  • Happy New Year to you!

    That's a very nice bento. How did you do the eyes and nose on the cheese stick?

    By Blogger Adrine, At 4:00 PM  

  • you are soooo good
    oh my....
    indy just started primary one
    and i think i just do simple bento haaha
    sure not like yours!
    ohmy... that is so cuteee

    By Blogger Unknown, At 6:35 PM  

  • *speechless* your bento is WOW!!!

    By Blogger Rachel, At 11:31 AM  

  • Those mushrooms are awesome! No wonder you had to wake up at 6am!

    By Blogger A Mom's Diary, At 12:58 PM  

  • Hey Shoppingmom. yea, it's a struggle in the morning isnt it? But what to do, the kids gets thinner and thinner if we don't get them to eat.

    The sandwich was cut with the box itself.haha. wipe the rim really clean and cut it over the chopping board.

    Hey Elaine, after a long break the initial few weeks will be tough.Bento, yea, sometimes no inspiration also susah. Me ar, worrying about them not eating is inspiration enuf.sigh.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 1:41 PM  

  • Chinnee, haiya...you should know by now my bento used to be speed bento. up at 6, get kids brush teeth, tie hair, wear uniform shoes, pack bento, clean kitchen, get ownself ready for work, out by 7am. So now its just another 5 to ten minutes extension of my time. not too bad, really.haha. used to the speed already.

    Oi, Hijackqueen, if you u-turn so much, your petrol must be very jia lat? Ashley not private school lar, kawan, Kimberly lar.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 1:44 PM  

  • Ifamily5, yea lor. no choice. not packing bento also have to get up at 6am. cos the kid need to leave by 7am. so might as well pack hor? haha.

    Hey, Arlene, thanks !!! Glad it is pleasing to your eyes. haha.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 1:52 PM  

  • hey Nomadicmom. haha. if your kids are picky like mine, you might end up cultivating patience too. haha.

    Bonnie, streamyx been down lor. hopefully it will be up soon so that I can upload the pictures.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 1:54 PM  

  • Hey Jacss, aiyoh. not so important catching on camera as compared to the bento not making it in time for school, although I would feel sayang not being able to take pictures of them. Its actually more important that the bento box get to school in time together with Kimberly and that she eats the food. True or not?

    BTW, all moms out there can now rest assured now that the mayonaise does make the white spots sticks. haha. cos Kimberly confirms it. You may need to place the lunchbox level in their schoolbag though. Kimberly carried it without much care and they stays, so looks like those mayo can make that little bit of weight in those white spots stay in place.

    Hey Kay aka Pearly's Missus, haha..lucky you, you can get fresher cherries over there

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 2:07 PM  

  • Hi Linda, thanks for your kind words. Not as much patient as is desperate for them to eat something, anything. haha.


    Hey JO-N, thanks for your kind words. You made my day. haha. Those white rolls are the sides are fish cakes. you can get them from any Japanese fresh food aisles.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 2:08 PM  

  • Adrine, Happy New Year to you too, dearie.

    I dip a toothpick with mayo and dab them on the botton of the fishball spots. For the eyes and nose on the cheese stick, I dont have to do anything to make them stick. They just stuck on naturally

    Hey Sandra !! What you did is amazing enuf already, being the pioneer in creating such awareness on cloth diapering. It has never taken off until you came along !!

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 2:11 PM  

  • Hey Rachel, will be able to blog hop to your blog soon. The technician is coming by tomorrow. You have done amazing bento your self, you modest soul !

    Hi, A Mom's Diary. thanks, but mushrooms bits takes an extra ten minutes. Not an extra hour. so still boleh tahan waking up at 6am lar.haha. actually I need to get up at 6 cos Kimberly needs to leave for school by 7. My bento usually takes about 15 min only

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 2:13 PM  

  • Hi,cute mushroom men! Just to let u know that I have similar probs viewing your pix (the prob. are on my side) and hope when I do make those trips to Starbucks I can catch up and browse more. :)

    By Blogger javapot, At 9:52 AM  

  • This looks great! Can pass some of your creative juice over? Hehehe... I think I lost all my creativity now that I am pregnant.

    By Blogger LZmommy, At 3:48 PM  

  • Lovely bento, i love the mushroom!! What is it on top of the sausage? the white colour thing?

    By Blogger Annie Q, At 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home









Ditch the Disposables





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape



Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket