allthingspurple

For Bento Posts under this blog itself, click "here" .For older bento posts, just click on the monthly archives at the side bar.

Friday, September 26, 2008

Speed bento v Kyaraben and Oekakiben

Thursday's Bento

Boy, am I glad I close my case today. The judge would not be happy if I didn't, since it was a year 2002 case. Good thing all the witnesses turned up today!

And with that over (for the moment anyhow), I have a few days free over the next few days to go through Kimberly's revision with her. I have been working late the last 2 weeks and the poor dear's work has suffered cos by the time I got home, she was already in bed.

I think we parents' lives all revolved around our kids. Around their exams, around their school hours, their classes, their birthday parties invitations etc. If it's not that, its their homework, their weekly spelling, their school projects, their daily diet, honouring promises to do their stuff that had to be done that day itself because "now" is the only vocabulary that exist in their world.

What I give to have some time for myself !

I would love to be a stay at home mom and not have to worry about datelines, causepapers submission, preparations for hearings, trials, but spend my time preparing beautiful kyaraben bento-s or oakakeben bento-s with inari babies on cots, floral ham, cycle weiners, chequered apple skins, hello kitty kyaraben bento, and all the wonderful ideas learned from those fabulous Japanese moms' bento sites.

Photobucket

Did a ham flower fold like this with carrot flowers all around carrot mixed onigiri for Kimberly yesterday but didn't have time to snap picture cos her transporter was already here. What did that tell you? These things are time consuming.

( Edited this to add the 2nd pic in cos a fellow member of the bar, Rachel, text me to say she don't understand how the first picture (the sideway one)can end up like a flower).

But truly, it's not practical with having to rush the kids to school and rushing to work in the morning. But boy, do those Japanese moms' churn out such fantastic ideas.

No energy to churn out kyaraben or oekakiben bento for the kids. Perhaps once in a month if I don't have to spend my weekend cooking up dishes for frozen food dinner stash to last the weekdays, haha. but phew, sounds exhausting. I mean, just take a lot at this !!!

THIS TAKES A LOT OF TIME, OKAY?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

These are not mine, ar? In case you are just about to fall off your chair *grin*

But wow, all the careful cutting of itsy bitsy details, cooking of different food for each tiny detail, strategically placed nori eyes and mouth, slow and careful folding of cut lenghtwise ham and egg so it won't break.

But I still love to drool at those kyaraben(character bento) and oekakiben (bento with cute figures and themes) bentos anyhow, even if I don' have time to churn it out myself. ha ha.

In all earnesty, I can only afford roughly 15 minutes for the kids and my own bento, coupled with getting both kids to brushed their teeth, tie their hairs, dressed and ready for school, and getting myself ready for work within that 6am to 7.15 am time frame.

I love to give credit to the Japanese moms who create these wonderful bento above but I usually just cut and paste the pictures for reference without storing the links. If I stumble on her again, will share her fabulous link here. There are lots of other cool links, will put them up at the sidebar when I have time.

Yukinko mama and other Japanese moms whose pictures these belong to, please leave your links here if you chance to see your pictures here okay? so that others can share your wonderful blog.

There's lots of others, particularly this cool Japanese mom's blog , Ikuyama whom I tried to show her wonderful pictures to Angeleyes, but I can't save her pictures somehow. Ikuyama (hope I got her name right, cant remember) has those beautiful Cinderella ones that I love to fix for Kimberly one day when I have time.

By the way, Angeleyes is a work-at-home mom who has has a creative touch for her cupcakes. She fixes pretty amazing bento for Darrius. Just in case there are cupcake lovers out there.

Speaking of time, I promise I will put up the cloth diapers and the nursing wear here soon. Am so embarassed, Bonnie and the rest of the cloth diaper addicts who asked about it, for the long delay. Been having lots of trials and hearing lately. Will find some time to fix up a markethall and put them up in my other blog.

okay, enuf feasting on your eyes. Back to earth now !

This is MY bento. this humble practical one ! hee hee... did I hear a loud thud. yea, what a let down. Hee Hee..

A speed bento because I need to speed off to an outstation court today.

Since Bento #66 went down so well with the kids, I thought I do a furikake riceball bento again. For some reason, inari and sushi doesn't go down well with my kids. Furikake riceball is the nearest to Japanese finger food carbo that they would take.

Bento #79

Photobucket

Fried some nuggets in the deep fryer while I get Kimberly ready for school. Not home made nuggets, although I prefer them to eat home made kampung chicken nugget. Steamed some carrots for veges. Didn't have time to cut into appealing shapes for them cos I have to leave extra early today. So it's just strips.

Photobucket

Hope its substantial for Ashley cos I need to pick her up late from school today. Kimberly, the street wise one and being older, can always buy food from the canteen.

Photobucket

Got a chance to use these bento boxes I got from Toys R Us. They are a good deal at RM13.90, and came with bento straps and fork and spoon. Wait a minute, or was it RM19.90. Anyhow.

By the way, speaking of speed bento, working moms may want to check out Lunch in a box . She has such wonderful ideas for speed bento-s.

Happy Bento-ing, folks !

p.s. This is a late post, left in my laptop yesterday unpublished.

Labels:

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

14 Comments:

  • Like you, I don't have time (& now that I am pregnant) to prepare such wonderful bento for my kids too, though I am a SAHM.I can only 'drool' over it! Haha!

    Never mind :) As long as we are preparing homecooked food for them to bring to school right? :)

    By Blogger LZmommy, At 8:39 AM  

  • again...you are a super mom christine.i hope i will have time to make those beautiful bento for sona in the future..i am collecting bento box for her now..hehe keep posting.

    By Blogger Deana E, At 8:48 AM  

  • You are amazing, with load of work, take care Kimberly & Ashley you still can bento. I salute u. I'm starting to collect bento tools and hopefully I can ;find' some time to do it. With DH only the helper to tc wawa, it seems like a dream..=( But still looking you bento makes me drool over n want to try myself.

    Oh, about the gently used cd, no rush here..just take ur time ya.

    Hv a great weekend mdm!

    By Blogger Bonnie, At 9:19 AM  

  • I am a SAHM but no, I don't have time to prepare beautiful bentoes like you. You are simply amazing woman!

    By Blogger Mumsgather, At 9:54 AM  

  • LZmommy !! What a relief there is another mom who thinks homecook food is good enough..heehee..

    Deana, mana ada supermum, leh ! My house is a mess leh, and my family survive on frozen dinner stash cooked in batches over the weekend. My mom would frown heavily upon me.haha.

    Bonnie, I can imagine! And you having no maids. Babies as young as yours need a lot of attention. Unlike toddlers. Easier somewhat.

    Mumsgather, the top 3 bento not mine leh. Those "geng" ones belong to some Japanese mom. Mine is the simple nuggets one.heehee.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 10:40 AM  

  • Hey! Your bentos always looked so colorful! I think you are one of the good ones around here... we can't be compared to those Japanese Mamas you know....

    And guess what? I have the link to those superb bento mamas... that ikuyama...
    http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ikuyama0007/

    I can only drool... don't know when I'll reach half that stage! :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:03 AM  

  • I read a few Japanese mothers' blogs lately too, and boy, they really have time to fix nice bentos! But then again, most of them have lots of "gadgets" and they use lots of processed food almost everyday. We just have to do our best in bento-ing, as long as our kids makan the food, ok loh...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:46 PM  

  • Wow.. thanks so much for sharing. Those kyaraben and oekakiben bentos are really great eye candies. But I agree with you, it will take ages to prepare them and *sigh*.. time is so scarce for us working people. But I like your bentos too as they are also very pretty and so very neat. Hope to be able to do like you do one day :D. Have a good weekend Christene! Hugs

    By Blogger Unknown, At 12:53 PM  

  • I wonder why Japanese mommy can "squeeze" their time to prepare so nice bento ha? May be genetically they are great in art? Me... always depent on mould. hehe...

    By Blogger Moo Mummy, At 4:22 PM  

  • You are already doing a great job with your healthful homecooked meals. Furthermore, your bentos are all very visually appealing. Kyaraben etc are just additional icing on the cake, cute but doesn't add nutrients.

    By Blogger 3lilangels, At 8:13 PM  

  • Glad everything went well.
    Yea you are a super mom, still manage to make special bento meals for your kids with your busy schedule.

    By Blogger Par, At 9:01 PM  

  • Wah, your bento also can pass up like one of the japanese mummy lioa. See also drooling man!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:08 PM  

  • like u also, i can just drool & drool over d japanese's creations from their latest to d very 1st post...it was like an addiction i tell u! thou i can only imagine myself doing it...if only my hectic life allows it!!
    "fook chor" d japanese/salute them!
    i think 4 rice balls r more than enuf for a lil toddler..so no worry mama!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:08 PM  

  • What an amazing blog! You have some gorgeous bento pics on here! Bento making is my new hobby and I now have a blog too on My Bento Box Blog

    I am "following" you now - I've subscribed!

    By Blogger BentoBoxUK, At 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home









Ditch the Disposables





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape



Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket