allthingspurple

For Bento Posts under this blog itself, click "here" .For older bento posts, just click on the monthly archives at the side bar.

Friday, November 07, 2008

Shu-mai Bento

This is Thursday's bento. It's for both kids.

Bento #98

Photobucket

It's 4 steamed shu mai, some grapes and a tomato and steamed corn. Because Ashley prefers carrots in fingers compared to cartoon character prints, I cut hers into strips.

Photobucket

This is Kimberly's bento meal.

Photobucket

It's almost the same, 4 steamed shu mai, some grapes, a tomato and steamed corn. Except that she gets a kiwi instead of carrots.

Photobucket

I had thought that we had finished the last of the kiwi but found a lone one hidden behind the yogurts and sliced that for her as well.

Kimberly finished all her bento food but Ashley came back with some of the shu mai and some of the grapes. I guess it's too much food for her anyway. It's more than I usually pack for her.

Further, she also eat the school's breaktime food it it appeals to her.

There isn't any bento on Friday cos we celebrated Ashley's birthday in her kindergarten and I was late with packing the party packs.

Kimberly didn't get a bento on Friday either cos I let Kimberly off school on Friday.

She was so curious about Ashley's party, I brought her along.

They were not having classes anymore anyhow cos they are practising for their concert performances.

Kimberly,as usual, played the big sister, helping Ashley to hand out the party packs. Sometimes it's an advantage having kids whose age gaps are so far apart.

I blogged about Ashley's birthday over at my other blog where I normally post family related posts. It was a simple do. Check out the cupcakes that Nancy of Yozoranitesky baked for her as party packs over there! Those fondant swirls are oh-so-pretty !!

Have a great weekend, all !

Labels:

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

13 Comments:

  • Hi, a friend reconmended me your blog and I am really fascinated and impressed with your bento making. I thought of starting for my Baby and Hubby. Any tips for starters?

    By Blogger Mommy-yeoh, At 12:47 PM  

  • Like how you include so much fruits and vegies in the bento - very healthful!

    By Blogger 3lilangels, At 9:02 PM  

  • the bento u made make me appetizing also, thanks for the recommendation about the confinement lady

    By Blogger Hazel, At 8:37 AM  

  • Oh, I miss shu mai! Christene, I'm wondering now if bento with fruits are alright. Isn't it better to consume fruits half an hour or one hour before meal? Let me have your opinion.

    By Blogger JK, At 11:17 PM  

  • Hi Allthingspurple, I have always loved Shu mai.
    Everytime I pop over here, you make me feel hungry, ha ha.
    Have a nice day, Lee.

    By Blogger  Lee, At 1:51 AM  

  • You trained your kids well in taking vegetables.
    Kudos...

    Mine? Already soooo difficult to make them eat the ONE miserable leaf of greens at home...let alone in school

    By Blogger NomadicMom, At 11:59 PM  

  • i find that cut kiwi cannot last long. it taste weird then. what do u think about it?

    By Blogger Chinneeq, At 2:03 PM  

  • Hi Mummy Yeoh, thanks for dropping by. I guess for starters, if you follow the cardinal bento rules of 3-2-1 proportion in 3 part carbo, 2part vege and one part protein, you won't go far off the mark. Also, bento meals are as much home cooked and/or home made as possible and be as aesthetically arranged or as ornamental as possible to be visually appealing. And it should be as tightly packed as possible so that the food doesn't jiggle in transport. Hope that helps.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 3:32 PM  

  • Thanks 3lilangels, I guess with them more inclined to eat carbo in school, it make sense to pack more fruits and protein than carbo.

    Hey Hazel, the pleasure's all mine. Have a great delivery journey !

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 3:34 PM  

  • Hey Jo-N, I have not read about having fruits one hour before or after meals. If you could let me have the links, maybe I can do some research into that? I do know however, that we are encouraged to eat fruits as the same time we consume protein so that the iron in the food is absorbed better into the body. And I have always offered my kids fruits alongside proteins during meals.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 3:36 PM  

  • Hey U.Lee, haha ! You always did say such flattering words! YOu have a great day too!

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 3:39 PM  

  • Hi Nomadic mom, it was easier training Kimberly as her snacks as a toddler has always been steamed vegetables or sliced fruits. But with Ashley, I do have to make tremendous effort, and not succeeding very well at that. LOL

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 3:40 PM  

  • Chinnee, no, wor. I didn't have that issue. Could it have been that the kiwi have gone bad? Maybe if you put a cold pack alongside it, it would help? The kids almost always eat their bento within 2 or 3 hours of packing and sometimes a lone slice of kiwi came back and I ate it, but I didn't take much notice of the taste. The next time I fix kiwi, I will try taking some for my own lunch bento to try it out. Let you know, ok? Let me know too if you have a solution to it.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home









Ditch the Disposables





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape



Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket