allthingspurple

For Bento Posts under this blog itself, click "here" .For older bento posts, just click on the monthly archives at the side bar.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Car Sandwiches Bento

Kimberly has a field trip today.

With her last field trip , the kids were asked to bring their backpack along, so I had made sure that her backpack is as light as possible. With this field trip, Kimberly informed me that they will be leaving their backpacks in the bus, so I gave her a bento box instead.

I thought I take advantage of the new cutter I got from www.nst.my.

It's a Tomica vehicle cutter. I had baked the egg yesterday night and put it away in a lock and lock in the fridge to ease the morning rush. Also cut out some nori wheels but had to fry the nuggets and boil the weiners in the morning.

Got up ten minutes earlier than usual, sliced and put turkey spam in the oven, nuggets in the fryer machines and frozen shu mai in the steamer and weiners in the pot. Then pressed out the bread with the cutter while waiting for the food to be cooked and cooled.

There was supposed to be lettuce, which I had remembered to lay out on the table but didnt have time to arrange cos I was like having only 5 minutes left after arranging the cars sandwiches. Was supposed to cut the weiners into flowers too. But had to abandon both the lettuce and the cutting of the weiners.

Bento #90

Photobucket

There are 3 sandwiches in there.

The on on top is one layer of bread and one layer of turkey spam with omelette window, nori wheels and cheese spokes.

The yellow car was supposed to go to the top for colour coordination but because I didn't have time to tie all of them sandwiches, I just layer them with clear food safe plastics and put the one and only tied one on top, which is the brown one.

The yellow car is one layer of bread with a layer of omelette, spam windows and cheese spokes on nori wheels.

With all the preparation the night before, arranging tiny details on a little sandwich still take a little time. So I forgot to snap pictures of them sandwiches before I wrap them. I had to hastily made do with snapping pics with the wrappers on, so it is kind of blurry.

Photobucket

The last car is 2 layers of bread sandwich between one layer of cheese with omellete windows, nori wheels and cheese spokes.

Filled the gap with my trusty fridge "staples", the grapes ! Shown at the above pic, not here.

Sorry for the bad photography. Had to strain your eyes, didn't you?

This is Ashley's bento

Bento #91

Photobucket

Ashley's sandwiches are tuna sandwiches roll-up and wrapped like a candy.

Photobucket

She gets the same food as her sister. Shu mai, nuggets, weiners except that I added some apple slices for her instead of grapes.

Photobucket

I put them apples inside a tomica print food wrapper to seperate them from other food. Those who like Ashley's sandwich Hello Kitty wrapper and Tomica food wrapper can get them from Veronica cos I got those from her as well.

There isn't any bento for Ashley on Tuesday and Wednesday cos to give credit to Ashley's teachers for easing her into having food with her classmates, I thought I lay off her bento meals for a few days.

I edit this post to add this picture cos Amy doesn't know what I am talking about.





I had asked Veronica , HijackQueen and Chooi Peng if they could bring in these lunch sheets. If they can, it will be bliss preparing colourful bento's, cos you dont have to cook tomagoyaki and colour them and cut them egg sheets for sandwiches.

For example, you can just cut the yellow ones into car shapes, contrast them with green wheels or orange windows and layer them on top of cheese or sandwiches instead of having to cook the eggs and colour the eggs (speaking of which, I still haven't gotten around trying them out yet).

You can even use these as a edible baran divider, tie them into ribbons to adorn your food or wrap your weiners,asparagus or other food with them. It's yellow for egg, orange for carrot, and green for spinach. Let hope our girls bring them in,yea?

Hokay, editing this again !! haha. to add the link !!

Aren't we a lucky lot ??!! Chooi Peng is bringing them in !! I have just been informed by her that she had just put it up at her market hall. Fast fast hop over to her market hall make your pre-order, okay ? Isn't she such a darling for bringing them in?

Happy bentou-ing, all !

Labels:

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

21 Comments:

  • the cars are so cute!!! can i please have a car bento?

    By Blogger Blur Angel, At 2:31 PM  

  • Hey...bentos are supposed to be environmentally-friendly because the Japanese are very environment-conscious.

    Why are you filling your bentos with plastic, dear?

    That said, I'm *still* impressed with your pretty bentos!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:13 PM  

  • Hey Blur Angel, congrats on the marriage proposal !! Am so looking forward to your posts on the preparations !

    You can have all the car bento you want, just drop by anytime ! haha !

    *am feeling guilthy about not picking up my item from you yet*

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 4:39 PM  

  • Hey KittyCat, thanks for your feedback. I suppose if those are food wrappers, they are graded food safe plastics? These are Japanese food wrappers so I think chances of them not being graded food safe products are quite slim, yea, bearing in mind how stringents the rules and regulations are for food safety and hygene in that country?

    I normally dont use plastic wrappers but seeing she is on a field trip, I figure we go disposable today instaed of having her coming back with missing items.

    BTW, I got Lucas a Thomas bento box and a Thomas bottle. Pass to you when I see you back here.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 4:59 PM  

  • Love the Tomica car cutter. Contemplating whether to get it as I already have a set of transport'n cutters.

    The sandwhich 'candy' is so cute. There's too many things I'm drooling over after coming to your blog. Haven't found the time to go KLCC to check out the bento books. With the popularity of your blog, chances are they're gone by now. So I'll just continue to drool over your books. *_*

    By Blogger 3lilangels, At 6:56 PM  

  • wow! Wow! Wow!!! So beautifully done the car!!! and so many different things to prepare in the morning..hats off to you!!

    whwre is the bake egg?

    By Blogger Rachel, At 10:57 PM  

  • Sharon, I think Kinokuniya still have those books leh, cos a girl who read my blog told me she got the very same book that I posted about from there right after reading my post.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 11:13 PM  

  • Rachel, the baked egg is the yellow sheet of cut outs for the car. I strained the egg yolk with a strainer and put it in a ramekin in the oven to bake. When cooled, I cut it into shapes.

    Those different things to prepare were fortunately fast food albeit not very healthy food. But not much options cos those are food that stand jigglings for the field trip. I will feed them fresh food over the next few days in consideration of that.haha.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 11:17 PM  

  • The car sandwiches are lovely. Now I know the use of those lunch sheets. Thanks for sharing.

    By Blogger JK, At 11:19 PM  

  • wooohoo! Finally I'm seeing something from the book!!!! hehehe They are sure a motivator huh?

    Really nice bento there!

    By Blogger Angeleyes, At 11:44 PM  

  • The pleasure is all mine, Jo-N. Been checking out your blog been the last few times was on dial up so didn't get to leave any comments cos streamyx was down. How have you been?

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:11 AM  

  • Ai? The car thingy is not in the book lar, I think. I got it from the picture at the back of the package that the vehicle cutter came with wor.

    The candy thingy was from a Japanese mom's blog. But you sure are right !! Those books are such motivators !! ONly that we have to do so much more work...sigh..and not having the time for them. Blessed Chooi Peng for bringing in the lunch sheet, yea, Alice?

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 12:14 AM  

  • wow...that was really a morning rush for you but am sure it definitely pays off when Kim's friends are admiring how lucky she is.... :)

    my boys sure like the tomago car design but their mumy is still lazy to do any of such...sigh!!

    and d hello kitty wrapper indeed made d tuna sandwich so cute & tempting!!

    thks for sharing d lunch sheets!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:17 AM  

  • My daughter is about Ashley's age and I always curious how Ashley could mind those beatifully decorated food without messing it before she ate it. For example, does Ashley knows how to open up the sandwich roll or her teacher will help her?

    By Blogger Mommy, At 10:53 AM  

  • Hey Jacss !! the pleasure's all mine. How's the 2 little hensems? You know, I think kids nowadays don't think of themselves are lucky. I rather think her classmates look upon those sandwiches as a new interest than anything else. I read in her diary that she swap one of them for some cookies.

    Yea, I know, I know, when she is alittle bit bigger , I won't read her diary anymore. But I had to know stuff that she is not telling me. sigh.. like if she is happy or not, stuff like that

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 10:55 AM  

  • "Mommy", Ashley's food is usually bite sized and she could pick them up with her finger, if I didn't skewer them already.

    As for pasta, she learn to eat on her own from school, probably guided by one of the teachers. Was pleased that I don't have to supervise her after she start going to school.

    Probaby the only bento box I ever packed for her with tie strings is this one, if you search under labels for bento in my blog, since I was in the mood with packing with disposables for my elder daughter.

    As for assistance with the tie strings, as with at home, she would ask a grown up for help at school if she needed to untie something or do something that she couldn't do on her own.

    They also have attentive teachers supervising mealtimes cos I am always told what she ate and what she didn't, how much or how little.

    By Blogger allthingspurple, At 11:18 AM  

  • The car shape sandwiches look so pretty!!!! I don't think i will have the patience like you.

    I super like the hello kitty candy bread, so so so cute!!!!!

    By Blogger Annie Q, At 1:59 PM  

  • Wow! I'm drooling at the bentos you have prepared :)

    I bet my boy would love to have to car sandwich. So lucky of you to have bloggers who are bringing in all this cutey stuffs to sell.

    Yet to receive your addy so that I can send the items to you. How Kimberly's exams? My girl exams finally over today. Phew!

    By Blogger LZmommy, At 3:14 PM  

  • How I wish I can make bento like yours.

    Need HELP!! Can any mummies tell me know how to go about removing the icon showing a spanner & screwdriver? Very new to blogging. Please advise Thanks

    By Blogger icfamily5, At 4:29 PM  

  • The cars are such great work! BTW, thanks for posting the photo of the lunch sheet.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:03 PM  

  • you are fantastic Christene. I have never seen such cute bento cars before leh.. not from an blogs or magazines. each time i come to your blog is a wonderful experience for me. i just love it here :)

    By Blogger Unknown, At 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home









Ditch the Disposables





Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape



Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket